Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why Hillary Why

Let me say this first, I support Hillary Clinton and her bid for the presidency. I respect her and think she would be a positive influence on our country. As an HRC supporter, I receive e-mails from the campaign--usually of the send-us-money-type, but also occasionally about actual policy issues.

That said, today I received an e-mail from the HRC campaign beseeching me to send an e-mail in support of the Rutgers' women's basketball team in reaction to Imus's bigoted comments about the team. While I agree that his comments were unacceptable, and I also agree that support should be shown to the Rutgers' women, I am not sure this was a battle Hillary really needed to take up. I am not absolutely sure about this, but this is my first gut reaction.

HRC needs support. We all know that--what presidential candidate doesn't need support... She was never going to get support from Imus, so pissing him off isn't really a huge deal. But was she jumping on the band wagon about this one? Is she picking her battle wisely? Was this a ploy to get support from the African American community? Was this the best avenue to start down that road? I am not saying I know the answers to these questions, but my gut reaction was why is HRC getting into this fray?

Maybe I have missed something and this is a bigger story than I realized... I am not discounting the gravity of this situation. I do see it as a good thing that HRC is using her notoriety to support these young women and activate against the ideas that Imus was sharing. I guess I am doubting her motives...

If anyone happens to read this and wants to give it a stab as to what the political strategy behind that e-mail was, please do... I am just not sure I get why she did it.

ttfn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flinging my two cents, I have to say I don't think Hilary made a mistake for condemning Imus for his truly reprehensible commentary. The team justifiably feels their thunder was stolen by that shmuck. Having said that, did Hilary need to get in this fray? Well, it strikes me that in a time where all potential candidates are reacting under national microscopes, her stance, although suspiciously political, is correct and will most likely garner support from women and the African American community. With hosts of people calling for his head not only Imus's job, her call for support polarizes the issue further and makes her stand out. I'm glad she did.

Kilgore Trout said...

cause you know a senator's most important priority should alway be to make sure that shock radio doesn't offend anyone, and that if it does then to personally ensure that person is dealt with accordingly.

No I don't get it. If she wants to impress me (and so far she hasn't) then she would get to work on fixing some of the many many many problems in this country, and on that list Imus being a douche is somewhere just ahead of swamp-ass. Yes what he said is wrong, let his bosses and the FCC worry about it. Hillary should have more important things than showing support for the girls of Rutgers. Which by the way, I doubt they need support. I mean with one stupid line they suddenly because famous around the country. Not too mention that they just won the championship, they're probably having the best time of their lives. Sure one person they probably couldn't care less about insulted them, but now everyone knows what they accomplished. I'd be having fun.

Oh and because you said you like her and I just said I don't I'll explain. I don't dislike her, I don't like her, I think I'm the only person in this country who is still undecided. I just look at what shes done. I like her stances on most social issues, overall I think she has done well. But her stance on the war simply disgusts me. She can win me over, it wouldn't be that hard, she has a year and a half to impress me and it won't have anything to do with how much money she has or spends (no tv means no political ads) I'll be watching her voting record.

A Clinton-Obama ticket would be great, but I can't imagine either of them being willing to accept a number two spot.