Monday, April 2, 2007

It's Game Day Baby!

Okay, my goal is going to be to post SOMETHING Monday through Thursday... Fridays and the weekends I try to avoid my computer--therefore avoiding work... So, here we go.

It's Game Day Baby!!!! Go Gators!

The national championship vibe is back in Gainesville! That's right folks, the Gators are playing for a national title. Again. I know, we just did it for football. And it seems like we just did it for basketball. But, yes siree bob, we get to play in a national title game again.

Like how I said "we"? I am a Gator, therefore I am playing for a national title. Those five starters are starting for a team of Gators everywhere. I also claim ownership of what sports teams at Oklahoma State and Texas Christian universities do as well. (okay, random side note there).

So I am very excited and nervous about this game. We beat Ohio State pretty handily earlier in the season, but these are two different teams now. Ohio State has only lost once, that's right ONCE, since we beat them. We have lost more than a few games since then. But, we are a tournament, championship team, so I am going to try not to be worried.

And so if we win, the debate begins between the husband and I if we can go to MidTown and celebrate with all the kids. I want to go. He doesn't. He is right. And I know this. I know once we get down there I will be frigtened by the crowd, he will be annoyed by the crowd, he will have to protect me from the craziness, and we will leave almost as soon as we get down there. But I want to go! (really say that with a whine and it will sound about right)

I really want to go.

And then I will really want to leave.

But, none the less, I want to go. I want to see the pandemonium. I want to see toilet paper on street signs. I want to see happy Gator Fans running around aimlessly. I want to feel the push of the TONS of people walking down the middle of University Avenue. I want that little bit of panic when it gets too crowded. Because even though we have been there twice in a year to celebrate these national titles, I want to do it again. That is what you DO when your school wins a title. Period.

All of this might be irrelevant if we lose tonight. I really hope we win. I really really hope we win. I have prayed about it.

Is it bad to pray about sports? On Saturday, while driving to watch the game, I said out loud, "Okay God. We really need a good parking spot (we were running late and already missed tip off). And we really need a win. Okay? I will take a win over a parking spot, but we really need both! Thanks God!" I literally said this out loud with another person in the car with me (and this other person doesn't really pray so I am sure she thought I was crazy).

And another random question... as a Ph.D. student, am I not supposed to do things like go out on University and celebrate the national championship? When I am a professor, will I not be allowed (or supposed) to do things like that? I sure hope not. I am a BIG sports fan. Big One! And I love the comeraderie that comes with rooting for college sports. I hang out at a non-student bar to root for my team. I don't go to games drunk. I don't act silly. I am a fan. And I hope being an instructor (and someday professor) doesn't disclude me from the enjoyment of being a college sports fan. If anyone reading this has an opinion on the matter, I would really like to know what you think.

Oh yeah and: Ohio State is Gator Bait!!!

ttfn

2 comments:

Lara said...

first, i think forcing yourself to write *something* every day of the week is a great way to get yourself moving.

second, good luck in the game tonight! i have no opinion either way, really, so i'll hope for your sake that the gators win.

and third, no, there is NOTHING wrong with a professor being a sports fan. i say put it all out there and be yourself. :)

aMom2E said...

I wish I had gotten on board during the nabloshomo (that isn't exactly it, but something like that--haha)!

Go GATORS!

I am glad someone else says it is OK. Especially someone who teaches and understands the politics of the academic world. We didn't go to midtown, but I heard it was less exciting than the last two times. Marriage is compromise.