Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Teaching and other stuff

So an update is so long overdue. I know most of you understand that my head is swimming in about a thousand other directions, but after a week of having the knowledge that I am actually growing a real human being inside me, I think it is time to sit down and let you folks know how I have been...

So, first let me tell you a little bit about my teaching. (haha I know you want preggo details, but I will get to that)

I think students who take classes in the first summer session are not as go-getter-ish as those who take classes in the second summer session. I do realize that my class is at 8 in the morning. They seem really pissed to be there at that hour. I am fairly pissed to be there at that hour, but I deal with it, and I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to deal with it a little better!

Of my 50 or so students, 20 of them seem great, 20 of them seem to suck at life, and the other 20 are somewhere in between. They are learning though, and that makes me happy. They have now submitted 5 writing assignments. They turned in their first into essay and a resume and cover letter. Then, the media writing started.

Their first assignment was two brief news stories with no direct quotes taken from a hypothetical police report. They also had the opportunity to write a practice news story. Those were not bad at all. Some students actually wrote strong summary leads and used the inverted pyramid to organize the information from most important to least important. I was pleased overall.

Their second assignment was a brief news story with information from a "police report" as well as direct quotes from an interview (all info is provided to them on a fact sheet). Some students did even better on those than the first assignment. A few students regressed. Overall, though, I still feel good about their progress. I think they have a basic understanding of the basic news story. They understand how to attribute information. They get it that a fact sheet cannot speak and therefore they must use according to. They see how quotes provide a voice for the story. I am pretty pleased.

Today they had to write a soft lead and follow the feature style for the first time. I saw some really awesome soft leads as I looked over their shoulders in lab today. I also saw some really crappy ones, but soft leads are tough. I don't hold them to really harsh standards on their first try. I am really hopeful that they were able to take hypothetical notes from two interviews and create a story that is interesting and engaging. The only real bummer of today was that two of my best students were not there. One of them e-mailed me before class saying he was sick. The other one sent nothing, so I hope she hasn't dropped. I am letting the guy make it up but I am not sure what to do about the girl... I will probably have to decide that tomorrow.

And then the only other thing worth mentioning about my students right now is the two bad seeds I have seen so far. I think I weeded one out! So, before the semester started, my TA looked over the roster and told me that one of my lab students was in her lab last semester and was a real pain in the bootay. I kind of shrugged it off as problem students for others are something I can usually handle.

Wow was I wrong with this girl.

She had such a piss pore attitude and oooozed entitlement issues. She dropped the class last semester because she had her tonsils out but didn't go through the correct channels to make up her work and so when push came to shove she was going to make a bad grade in the class. She even got her mother involved in the fray!

Her Mother!

So, when she shows up into my class, she gives me this whole song and dance about how she got screwed last semester and how she was making an A up to Lab 7, so she didn't really see the point to participating until we get to the point she hasn't done... Give me a damn break. I very politely tell the student that she has a great opportunity to build upon the strong foundation she already has and because I am a different instructor and that this is a new class she will need to approach it as such--blah blah blah.

She missed at least half of the classes in the first two weeks, showed up late if she showed up at all, and was generally a pain in the ass when she was there. Luckily, she did very poorly on the first graded lab and didn't show up after that.

I don't like it that I am happy she is gone, but I am. I just don't like students who won't help themselves. I have LOTS of students who had to drop the class the previous semester. I am usually very successful with those students. I just don't feel like I owe any one student more than another. I give a lot to my students. I see my classroom as a family environment in which I will give 100% and I expect the same from my kids. If we all work really hard together, we will all come out better on the other side.

So that was my really bad seed. Then there was the asshat (thank you to whoever uses that term regularly in your blog. I can't for the life of me figure out who it is. If it is you, please speak up because it is kind of driving me crazy.) from the back of the room.

So I am in the middle of my lecture. I am randomly calling on students to participate. I got tired of the same five girls (whom I adore) in the front answering every question, so I start calling on the kids in the back. One young man looks kind of out of it, but he answered my question and seemed like he was tuned in.

But.

But, he had one of those blue-tooth ear pieces in his ear. I couldn't help myself, so I had to ask why.

Me: "Are you waiting on an important phone call?"
AssHat: "Uh... No, I, uh, am listening to music."
Me: (a little stunned) "In my class?!?" (pause for effect) "NICE" "So, a strong lead is one that draws the reader into the story and summarizes the most important aspect of the news..."

I am still unsure if I handled that the right way. He seemed only mildly embarrassed, but he hasn't had his big blue tooth thing in his ear since (although I do suspect he has had a smaller earbud type thing in his ear since then).

As a college instructor, what are my options here?? Do I ignore it? Do I kick his sorry butt out of my class? Do I demand he pay attention? Do I do nothing? I wasn't sure here.

But, other than those two doozies, I think this group is growing on me. I feel a little bad for them in that I have been mildly distracted by my new state... I think I am getting it together and will overcome last week's general craziness.

So, my new state. Okay, I admit it, I just am not ready to write all that much about it... But I will. Soon. Just a tease for now, when I do write I will talk about:

  • my mom and how she is trying to help me be emotionally and mentally prepared should I miscarry... her way of doing this is by being somewhat distant about the little being inside me, calling it a group of cells, saying things like that baby isn't yours until it is here... more on that later.
  • my husband and his so-called shock and awe phase and how it is lasting way too long for my taste.
  • these weird cramps that I suspect are related to gas or poop but might not be so they still scare the crap out of me
  • how annoyed I am that I don't get to see a doctor until June 21
  • my general confusion with the gestational calendar week thingy... I think I am now in week 6, but the baby was only conceived like 3 weeks ago or so...
  • how I am going to handle the dissertation and telling my advisor and what this means to my fellowship
  • my general fears like how I don't even know how to bathe a baby... I can learn a lot of things from books, but I have GOT to find a class to learn some of the basics. I never babysat people. I am clueless! I am so afraid I will suck at this! But, at the same time, I am excited and certain I will figure it all out...

Ok, that will be another really long blog. I tried the short thing, I suck at it. Another long one will come soon. I hope to be able to talk about a few of these things in the near future. I see the endocrinologist tomorrow and the OB nurse Thursday... I will have news after those appointments I am sure.

ttfn

7 comments:

Lara said...

ugh, the "bad seeds" are the worst. i think you handled them well, though. :)

and yay for preggo! you know, you seem to have started a trend - you were the first of now THREE bloggers i read who are pregnant! crazy, seriously. there must be something in the air...

Anonymous said...

First, congrats again. And about the baby or "group of cells", I know you are always worried about life changes and experiences, but I know you are great friend and family member. You've got a lot of support, including me, to always be here for you. I know you are a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for!

Second, I love your blog. You are an honest friend, so it's no surprise you have an honest blog!

Cristina said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope I didn't completely freak you out about labor when you read my post - if I did, I am so sorry! I fully believe that every labor is different and my experience is my own only. You will have a completely unique experience to you. As for your question about books: I would suggest Birthing from Within or Spiritual Midwifery or anything that talks about birthing in a positive way.

Again, I would feel horrible if I scared you in any way when you read my post. I think that the best way to have a great birth experience is to read, prepare, practice the birthing techniques that are right for you (I chose hypnobabies and will be posting on that later), and surround yourself with people in the labor room who will support you (if you are planning a hospital birth and can afford a doula, I would highly recommend it!).

Sorry for the long comment!

Big Sis said...

I think it's a lot easier to come down on them for something that is obviously uncool (like headphones) if you didn't explicitly state it up front that it was stupid. Maybe I'm just used to dealing with people who argue about technicalities. Junior High, I swear.

MDC said...

congrats, found you through jitta. babies are truly easy!! they are wonderful, and you will be too.
All you have to do is add love and the rest just happens! And I guarantee when you look into that tiny,precious face for the first time, you'll belong to that little person forever.
Good luck!!

Cristina said...

Hi! I got your question on my blog re. the epidural. I am a bit conflicted on it myself. Most of my friends had a positive epidural experience. However, I have one friend who didn't. She developed a horrible headache for 2 weeks afterwards that she thinks is linked to the epi (also, her epi wasn't effective either).

There is some interesting information on the epi in my hypnobabies book that talks about the cons of epi's. If you are interested, feel free to e-mail me and I will send you the info I have. mommy605 at hotmail.com

I am going to try to avoid an epi next time b/c of my prior experience, but again, I know many people who loved theirs so it's a tough call!

Montreal Mama said...

Congrats on being pregnant! I miss being pregnant!

Came to check out your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine!