Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My favorite day(s) of the year

THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!!

I love the first day of school, and I have since I was little! Yesterday was that day for the summer session in which I am teaching. It went fabulously! I am proud to say, I think I nailed it!

We went over the syllabus (which I didn't make copies of and hand out, I posted it on WebCT and told them to print it out at home. Was that bad?), went over the goals for the course, talked about who I am and where I come from, learned about the required materials, and that was about it.

Then today was the second day of classes and it still went pretty well. I did have at least five our of 60 students come to me because they didn't come to class yesterday. I really have a problem with students who can't bother to show up on the first day--call it my own personal pet peeve. I hope by the time I am a seasoned professor, word will get out not to miss the first day of my classes. I am going to find a way to reward those who show up and punish those who don't. I don't know what or how, but I will.

I teach a lab this afternoon, and then the first rotation is over! Woo-hoo! Time really flies in summer sessions.

I am going to end this here because I worry that my blogs are way too long so I am going to try a short and sweet approach. I make no promises, I am a talker, but I am going to try to be to the point. I hope you like it!

ttfn

2 comments:

Lara said...

re: first days... you would hate teaching at my uni. we have a two-week "shopping period" at the beginning of each quarter. the premise is that you can go to whatever classes you want before locking yourself into a schedule. so basically, people could be missing any or all of the first two weeks of your class, because they're still "shopping around." :-P

re: blog post length... i like varying my lengths when i can. i keep stats on how long they are so that i don't get in a rut of either too many long posts or too many short posts. it's nice to have the quick reads once in a while, but it's also good to have something with more substance sometimes too. :)

aMom2E said...

Lara, I would REALLY hate that. How do they do any assignments during the first two weeks? How do they hold students responsible for material covered during that time? I am just curious about the logistics of it...

And, thank you for the advice about post length. You know me, once I get going it's hard to stop!! But I will try. I have not adopted the in-depth spreadsheet system you have just yet, but maybe I need to!

You rock for always commenting on my blog! Thanks!