Sunday, July 22, 2007

Home (bitter) Sweet Home

Well, I made it home. I tried to post from the road, but I was just too plum wore out to get it done... Sorry!

So, our adventure went as follows:
  • Finished packing just as movers arrived on Wednesday morning.
  • Movers were loading stuff in truck when Dad got to G'ville.
  • G was actually helpful in packing and directing movers in their loading of stuff.
  • Paid for a whole extra hour of movers' time because of the two-hour minimum when they only needed an hour to get my crap loaded.
  • Went to copy place to print, sign, and get notarized our separation agreement.
  • Got a half-ass one arm hug and mumble for a goodbye (he personifies cowardly asshat more and more).
  • Went and got Subway with my dad and departed from G'ville without any major emotional breakdowns.
  • Drove for maybe three hours and decided we had had enough driving for the day.
  • Found a hotel with a restaurant and free WiFi (see, I intended to post).
  • Ate dinner and fell asleep by 7 p.m. (I know, sad).

Day Two

  • After a restless night of me and Dad being awake and asleep, we got up at 5 a.m. and were on the road by 6 a.m.
  • We drove all day without anything really worth mentioning... We ate breakfast in Mississippi, didn't really eat lunch, made it into Louisiana before 2 p.m., and decided to haul all the way to Shreveport so we could get a little gambling in.
  • Stopped for the night in Bosier City at 3 p.m.
  • Gambled for an hour, won almost $50 at the craps table!!
  • Ate dinner at the buffet and headed to the room by 6 p.m. We swore we would try to stay awake until 8 p.m. We failed at that attempt.
  • Fell asleep before 7 p.m., woke up at 10:30 or so, stayed awake for four hours or so, and fell back asleep until 5:30 or so...

Day Three

  • We were on the road again by 6 a.m. with less than 4 hours to get home!!
  • Crossing the state line between Texas and Louisiana was emotional for me. It just really sunk in that this was really happening. I know my dad was appreciative that I didn't have any major emotional breakdowns on the trip, but I know he noticed the quiet tears as we crossed the state line.
  • Arrived home and spent most of Friday doing nothing--I did help my dad download music for the firs time, went grocery shopping, that was about it.

So, then yesterday we had movers come and rearrange furniture upstairs and help us unload the truck. That took only 2 hours but cost $250... But, we got all my stuff to fit in my room upstairs and in the garage. My folks can still fit both their cars in the garage along with half of my crap!

After the movers were done, my mom helped me start unpacking. It went fairly well. We got all my clothes unpacked and even got my bathroom arranged. We got my new sheets washed to put on my new bed. The deal with the new bed is this, G and I ordered that bed a few months ago but we never slept on it because the box springs wouldn't fit upstairs in our town house, so we were just going to wait until we moved to use the new bed. We put the new sheets on and then mom started ragging on me about my pillows that they were too old and lumpy. She demanded that I pitch my old pillows and use some of her new ones. Then, she moved on to complaining about how dusty my desk was. She sent me to the bathroom to get a wet washcloth to deal with the dust.

Pair all of her nagging with the realization that our new bed was only going to be my new bed and the fact (although I didn't know this yet) that my blood sugar had dropped dangerously low, I had a meltdown at this point. I just started bawling and I couldn't stop. It was one of those cries that gets going so hard you can't really breathe. Well, my mom got bothered that I was crying and yelled at me more. I tried to communicate with her, but I was crying too hard. Luckily she figured out that I had low blood sugar and got me downstairs for some juice. It was pretty ugly though.

My mom is fabulous and my best friend, but she needs to work on her dealing with my tears. Anytime she finds me crying she asks, "Why are you crying?" Often times, the only real reason I am crying is the state of affairs of my life. There isn't always one specific thing that will set me off, and I think it is OK to just cry every once in a while. I understand that it hurts her to see me hurting, but I wish she would just hug my neck and let me cry without asking for an explanation. I talked to her a little bit about this yesterday, and I think she might be better about it in the future. We shall see.

On other fronts, I have a job interview Tuesday. I had applied at a local CC for their journalism department, but last I had heard they had filled the position. Then, literally as Dad and I were just driving out of town, I checked my e-mail on my phone and found an e-mail asking me if I could interview because the person they had hired had flaked on them. This was really symbolic for me. Here I was leaving my husband and my life with no clue as to what my future would hold, and I got an e-mail asking me to interview for a position that will really work well for me! I e-mailed back and fourth with the hiring professor and in the end, she even asked me to be sure and bring my social security card to the interview. How many job interviews require a SS card?? I took that as a good sign.

Then, when I got home, I checked my e-mail and found an e-mail from a big R1 school asking me to interview at an upcoming conference. This is the first time a school has contacted me about interviewing, and I was really excited about this. This too was a sign from God that everything is going to be OK.

So, please send LOTS of positive thoughts and prayers my way on Tuesday that this interview goes well and that I get the job. I still need prayers and positive thoughts that I get through my life drama too, but this is some new stuff worth talking about, and good stuff worth talking about, so I like that!

I hope to post more regularly now that I am a little settled in. I might take some pics of the unpacking process. I am also working on an ode to my dad. He just freaking ROCKS for so many reasons, and I need to write about that. I will also work on being a better commenter.

Oh yeah, one more thing. A friend of mine with whom I worked on my master's has started a blog. Go check her out: Stupid American. She rocks my socks off! Her stuff is often way above my head, but she always makes me think!

Thank you very much for all the support and love. I cannot really explain how much it helps and makes me smile and feel loved. I so appreciate the virtual hugs. I still need lots of hugs, so these really mean a lot to me. Thank you so much!

ttfn

9 comments:

Cristina said...

(((((big huuuuuugggss)))))) to you!

Don't feel bad for crying. You are pregnant and going through a LOT. It's OK to cry whenever you feel like it. Hell, I cry when my favorite ice cream is out of stock at the grocery store!

I'm so glad to hear that you have some great job opportunities in the works! Best of luck with the interviews!

Major Bedhead said...

It sounds like a lot of great stuff is happening for you. That's excellent. It kind of balances out all the crap you've been dealing with for months.

Good luck with the interviews!

Anonymous said...

I hope things do go really well for the interview. As for the crying and falling asleep early, you are in the first trimester of your pregnancy. You are supposed to be like that.
:)

Lara said...

i'm in an awful mood, so i'm sorry i can't be more cheerful. but know that i love you and i'm so glad things are starting to fall into place. i'll send good thoughts when i get in a better mood.

stupid american said...

hey, thanks for the plug. i totally appreciate it. i'll keep my fingers crossed about the interview, but i know you'll totally rock! you're in my thoughts and take care of yourself!

Mamalang said...

I read your post elsewhere, and I wanted to follow up with you. I'm glad there was a link. You've been in my thoughts...I hope good things continue to happen for you. When it's right, the universe will make it smooth.

The City Gal said...

hey girlfriend,

I am so happy for you! Things will work out. you will finish the Ph.D, get a job soon, baby will come and you will be soooo happy.

I am almost your age (ok, I am a couple of years older) but I understand what you are going through. I live in Canada.

All the best with everything. I will follow your blog daily and I am hoping you post more news about the baby.

Big Sis said...

Glad to hear from you! Was sitting around wondering, "so, how's it going?" Would love for you to get those jobs.

Amy said...

My mom can be tough on me like that, too.

ps - pregnancy = hormones = crying all the time under the BEST of circumstances, and you are under a lot of stress.