Monday, June 11, 2007

Teaching advice needed

I need some opinions here folks...

I teach an introductory journalism writing class during the summer. During the 2005/2006 school year I was the lecture assistant for this class and taught one lab section. I also taught the lecture and one lab last summer.

As the lecture assistant (the person who traditionally is assigned to teach the course in the summer), I already had access to the 12 lab assignments we used during the regular semester. As the lecture assistant I also had created many of those 12 assignments and had collaborated on any I didn't create entirely on my own. So, my first summer teaching the class I recreated the 11 assignments I chose to use in my version of the class. I adapted the assignments I had already helped to create (or had already created on my own). I did use the supervising professor's grading rubrics so as to ensure consistency. I devoted a GREAT deal of time to prepping the course--all 11 assignments, the 6-week's worth of lectures, the lesson plans to be followed by the lab instructor who was on my team, and the course web site. I am not complaining at all! I loved every minute of it and I am very proud of what I have created. It is my understanding that this is what you do when you teach your own course--PREP the course yourself.

So here is the situation now.

The student assigned to teach the Summer B session of the course was not the lecture assistant last year. She did some political maneuvering and got assigned to teach the class at the cost of the lecture assistant from last year even getting an assignment this summer. Now, she is asking me to help her get ready for her class. I was more than willing to send her my syllabus and my weird Excel sheet that has each day's topic, in-class exercises, assigned readings, and coordinating lab assignment. Now, she has asked me to send her all the assignment sheets for the class. She said she was asking me so she didn't have to bother the supervising professor while she is on vacation.

Now mind you, I didn't get anyone else's assignment sheets other than the ones I earned access to through my time spent as the lecture assistant. She hasn't earned that access. I don't think it is fair for me to just hand over all my course material and save her the trouble of actually prepping the course for which she is getting paid to teach.

Am I being childish or selfish here? Do college instructors share their materials freely with other instructors in their colleges? What is the professional thing to do here?

If I do say no to her, how do I politely say no?

I need help people!! What are your thoughts??

ttfn

4 comments:

Hope Mirlis said...

Gosh that's a tough one. My gut reaction is to tell this assistant to create her own, but really how will that help the situation? If you give her all of your materials she will still need to get familiar with plans and exercises, non? So at least she will have to put in some effort.

I am just about to teach an acting class for the first time on the college level, so I am meeting with all of the teachers I know and getting either their syllabi or their thoughts on the class objective. Granted the class I am to teach is in CA and I currently live in GA, so there is no conflict of interest. Needless to say, I could not teach this class without the assistance of these teachers.

I will then take their suggestions and create a syllabus that works for me. Hopefully the assistant in question will do the same.

Lara said...

maybe you could offer to meet with her at some point and brainstorm ideas with her. that way, you're not leaving her all on her own - because i think there should be some level of collegial sharing - but she's doing the actual planning for herself. i think that would be a fair and respectful compromise. :)

Unknown said...

It is very common to share materials. I actually had someone give me their entire binder for a class (all PPTs, lecture notes, assignments with answer keys, all worksheets, all tests with answer keys, EVERYTHING!) without me even asking -- more than once.

As a grad student you feel more protective of it because it is your work & your effort (which hurts bc you could have spent your time working on your dissertation instead of prepping!) - but in the end the students will benefit from the consistency.

Keep in mind this is a core class. If the students don't get it in this class - they will be horribly behind in all their later in-major classes & you have to do the best you can to support the students.

Other commenters were right - offer to meet with the person (if you want to use your time) but know that there is no way someone can look at even the best prepared lecture notes & course materials to go in to the class & do it like she who prepared that stuff in the first place.

Anonymous said...

I concur. And I would also encourage you to emphasize the fact that what worked for you may not work for her. SO you'll be happy to help, but she would grow and learn more if she simply took the "idea" of the assignments you created and custom-fit them to her teaching style.