Thursday, August 23, 2007

I love school!

Well, I have been at work for the last two days, and WOW has that ever improved my spirits!

Yesterday I started with a training session on the course management system at my new campus. That was fairly boring, but it at least exposed me to what I will be using when I get a log in and password. Then, I sat in on the campus newspaper staff meeting and that was FABULOUS! I contributed in a few places and started making my presence known. I think it was appreciated... Then, I worked for about an hour on my syllabus and what not. Then, I went to a book rep's meeting to learn about the online resources associated with the book my students will be using. Then, I had dinner and talked with other faculty, and then we had a department meeting.

At the departmental meeting we learned about resources available at the library and through campus media. We also learned that we have to give a final exam (OK, I can do that). We also learned that we have to take attendance (I learned that anyways, the others already knew)... I am not wild about that, but I will do it. I think taking attendance in a college setting is odd. These are supposedly adults and they can make the decision to attend class or not and reap the rewards or suffer the consequences. It is pretty simple. In my class, you come to class, you can do quite well. If you don't come to class, you can't do all that well. Straight forward, huh? Oh well. So then we called it a day.

Then, I convinced my dad to go celebrate my great day with a drink (for him, not me). We went to a local place and had tons of fun. I competed in a karaoke contest and took second place. That was cool. My mom came up (she had been at a business dinner) and brought her intoxicated co-worker, so that was entertaining too. It was just nice and felt normal to go have a drink after a good day at work (even if it was a virgin mary).

So today I started with a new doctor's appointment... That went fine except I broke down in tears while telling the doctor my life story (as I have named the drama that has been my life lately). I hate crying in front of people... And he asked me if my O.B. was prescribing me anything to keep my spirits up... I assumed that during pregnancy, drugs would be a no-no... If not, I could be open to medicating some of this pain away. Is that wrong?

After the appointment, I went to work and loved it AGAIN! I edited student newspaper stories and did a good job, if I do say so myself. My supervisor took one of the edited storied I had done and showed it to her co-worker and said, "She's one of us..." That was approval right there. I also developed my semester schedule, which was a relief. Finally, I attended new adjunct faculty orientation. That was informative and interesting.

The best part of the meeting was at the end when I connected with another new adjunct who will be teaching speech. I told her my life story, too, and she really empathized. She was very compassionate and even gave me her name and phone number to call for advice. She offered some helpful advice and even promised prayers for me. It was just very nice. It was like meeting one of you guys in real person! It was great!

So now I am home and needing to either get busy or go to bed... I found out at least one of my three classes made and it looks like of the other two, at least one is going to make... So that is good. I am so going to be broke soon, but oh well. I am going to a women of faith conference tomorrow and Saturday with my girl scout troop leader and my two best friends since kindergarten. I am very excited and nervous. Excited because it will be great for my spirits to spend time with these women. Nervous because I am worried what all the faith soul searching will do to my raw emotions... I hope I can handle it. So, before I have to be at their house by 7 a.m. (in nine hours), I need to sleep, pack for two days, take a shower, iron some shirts, and get ready to go... Not to mention get my syllabus ready for next week!

But, blogging did make me feel better earlier in the week, and I anticipate that I won't be able to this weekend, so I wanted to get this in. I hope I can keep my spirits up like they are. I am afraid they won't, and I worry this isn't "real..." Like I don't really feel better and I will get back to feeling so crappy. I hope not, but I have a feeling I will. Think positive for me! I am still seeing the counselor soon. Oh, and I think Eleanor has moved up into the top half of my stomach instead of just being in the lower part... I am probably wrong, but the top half of my belly has gone from being lumpy and fatty to being pretty solid (bulging in both scenarios)... Is it possible she's moving around like that? OK, I better pack or something soon!

ttfn

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear your in better spirit.

And no, I do not think it is wrong at all if you need to take some meds your OB prescribes to help boost your spirits. Many women have. You have to do what's best for you!

The City Gal said...

Oh Honey that is so great! You will be very good at your job!

You rock, did you know that? You are a trooper!

You will love work, new student, new colleagues, new friends and soon a new love in your life: your baby girl.

Don't feel about taking meds at all! If they are safe, go ahead! They do miracles!

Cheers!

Lara said...

so glad to hear you're loving school! that's awesome, and you deserve it. :)

MDC said...

I believe that antidepressants are okay during pregnancy, but BE SURE to check with your OB first, okay? I'm NO EXPERT. You sound so much more upbeat, and for that I am glad for you. And yes, those little ones, in utero, move around quite a bit. Enjoy it, it's kinda cool, don't you think? Take care, keep smiling!!

ewe are here said...

It sounds like you have found the perfect job! I'm delighted to hear it's started out so brilliantly.

I'm glad your OB was willing to take the time to listen to you... not all do these days. Sounds like you found a good one!

Cristina said...

I am thinking very positive thoughts for you. I'm glad you have people to talk to about everything. You are doing awesome with this pregnancy, just remember that!

p.s. thank you for the award in your last post. i am flattered :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, how have you been? Hope all is doing well!

The City Gal said...

Does anyone know what happened to the author of this weblog?

I hope she and the baby are ok. (which is not likely, from the looks of it)

The City Gal said...

Oh God! I am so happy you are ok!

Please come and write about the baby. you ahve 2 more months to go, only.

We live miles and miles apart, but we are the same age. I feel like we could have been sisters in some other life.