Thursday, December 7, 2006

College town activities

So tonight is the Gator Stomp--an event during which large numbers of college students bar crawl through numerous places in town, get free drinks, get a t-shirt, and probably an ugly hangover tomorrow. They, of course, pay a fee of some sort for this. My question is this:what about those of us who do not enjoy drunken debauchery but might enjoy having a drink and some live music on a Thursday night? I will have to avoid my favorite bar because it will be overrun with drunk children. Now when I was 21, I certainly didn't think I was a child. And some of them are not, but when you go out in an attempt to get falling down drunk, that makes you a child--in my humble opinion. So, I think we will be relegated to the really old-fogie, kind of white trash, kind of biker, bar. That is always fun for people watching.
-
My husband worked really hard again today at a job that he is not so wild about. All to allow me to continue my pursuit of a degree that will allow me to do what I think is my calling--teach and shape young minds. I think I just had an epiphany... If he is working in a job that sucks to allow me to do this, I need to be honest about it. I want to teach. TEACH. I enjoy research and will do a little of it, but I really LOVE the teaching. It is what God has called me to do, and I want to do it to the best of my ability, at a university that will appreciate my teaching efforts. So I think my first step will be to be honest to my advisor that this is my goal--even if it will make her very angry. She is so all about her and how what I do and become will reflect upon her. But I need to be about me and G. We are our family now and I need to respect what G is doing for me, and in return, I need to be honest and serious in my pursuit of a good teaching job. I feel a little better now with that clarity about what I am doing.
-
So I am trying to be somewhat anonymous with this blog... I am not sure that I am doing a good job of it. I searched blogs for my name and e-mail address and I couldn't find this, so I am hoping people who know me in real life might not stumble upon this. I just think that is better. I certainly wouldn't want my advisor to stumble onto this and see that I think she is selfish. So if there is some certain procedure I need to follow, let me know...
-
Well post no. 2... So far I like this. I don't think I am very good at it, but I like it none the less. I hope to return tomorrow.
Hopefully with a new puppy--see, training some someday-mommyhood. G and I are going to Ocala tomorrow to see about adopting the cutest little boy. Keep your fingers crossed for me!! I think we will be good puppy parents. This will be good for us!
ttfn

1 comment:

Lara said...

awww... cute puppy! i understand your desire to be honest about your future career goals, especially given your husband's willingness to sacrifice for you. i'm glad you're starting a blog - i've found it invaluable for me. and thanks for commenting on my place! i'll respond to the comments tomorrow sometime, but to let you know now, i teach high school english. :)